Tunisia

The DU program was started in Tunisia  in 2005 and  counted on four operational labs  equipped with laptops, printer, web cam and scanner. DU teachers  completed their training under the guidance of ST Tunisia voluntary ICBF (Informatics and Computer Basics Facilitation) trainers.

The labs of Jendouba and Bou-Salemare located in the North-west of Tunisia  were set up in cooperation with the association Anciens des Lycées Liberté et 9 Avril 1938. They spearheaded the ICB (Informatics and Computer Basics) program to pupils, students, unemployed persons or administration employees with good results. The Program was often followed by the local press, which  allowed visibility and encourages participation.

In the South of the country, in Gafsa, the partner for the launch of the DU Program  was the Club UNESCO ALESCO,  an association sharing UNESCO values and also involved in environmental and social projects in its area. Students, particularly girls,  were the recipients of computer literacy classes here. Since its setup in November 2007, this lab trained more than 530 participants.

Another partnership with UNESCO ALESCO was  launched afterwards in the town of Sidi Bouzid.

Computer skills  enabled former participants with a DU certificate to have a better chance of finding a job, particularly in public administration. Those who already  had a computer at home also profited from the training.

The Foundation’s computer literacy course  was provided in French and explanations  were  at times provided by local trainers in Arab to make the course easier for a Tunisian audience. Outside course hours, trainees also benefited from access to the Computer Training Center and the Internet.

DU Tunisia reached over 4’200 beneficiaries till the end of the program in the first quarter of  2012.

Video: An ICB session in Tunisia

Video: ST Foundation staff in Tunisia.
This video was prepared by one of STF local partners, the association Anciens des Lycées Liberté et 9 Avril 1938, and shows an ICB course taking place at the lab of Bou-Salem.